Fugitive militant Iqbal arrested in grenade attack case


Iqbal Hossain, a fugitive accused in the Ekushey August grenade attack case, has been arrested. Iqbal was arrested from Diabari in Dhaka on Tuesday (February 23rd), 16 years after the grenade attack and three years after the court ruling, the RAB said.

After the arrest, Iqbal gave shocking information to RAB. Describing the tragic incident 17 years ago, Iqbal said he threw a grenade at the Awami League rally stage on the orders of militant leader Mufti Hannan.

According to RAB, Iqbal of Jhenaidah used to be a student group. Later, the militant group Harkatul Jihad (HUJI) became involved. He fled abroad in 2006 after a grenade attack. He returned to the country at the end of 2020. Md. Arrested. The house of Iqbal Hossain alias Iqbal alias Jahangir alias Selim is in Jhenaidah.

After his arrest, Director General Chowdhury Abdullah Al Mamun told a media briefing at the RAB headquarters in Karwan Bazar on Tuesday that Iqbal had admitted during preliminary interrogation that he had thrown a grenade at the stage at the behest of Mufti Hannan.

Iqbal told RAB that he passed high school. While in school-college, he was involved in student politics. In 1994, he was an elected class representative of Chhatra Dal in the Student Parliament at KC College, Jhenaidah. He was in Malaysia from 1995 to 1996. Back in the country, he became involved in various businesses, including ISD phones. At this time he became involved in disputes with the proletariat and the local expatriates.

Citing Iqbal’s statement to the RAB, the head of the organization said that in 2001 his thinking changed. He joined Harkatul Jihad Bangladesh. He came in contact with Mufti Hannan in 2003. From then on the militants started taking training. He has come in contact with Mufti Hannan and several top leaders of Huji-Bir. He also took part in various secret meetings with them. At the behest of Mufti Hannan, he took part in the grenade attack on 21 August and fired a grenade at the stage.

After returning to the country, RAB provided information about Iqbal’s militant connection and said that Iqbal had taken up position in Dhaka before the 2004 attack. In August, at the behest of Mufti Hannan, he moved to Dhaka and stayed in a secret dormitory. There is a deep connection with Mufti Hannan and others. Citing Iqbal’s statement, RAB said that he took direct part in the August 21 grand attack on the instructions of Mufti Hannan. Mufti Hannan provided him with grenades. Iqbal threw a grenade at the stage. The militants have been trying to arrest Iqbal since the incident, RAB said. He spent his days in Jhenaidah, Gazipur and Savar in the guise of security guards, workers and rickshaw pullers. He fled the country in 2008.

RAB chief Al Mamun said raids were carried out in 2006 at his home in Jhenaidah to arrest Iqbal and later in various places including Gazipur and Savar. But Iqbal hid himself. With the information of Iqbal’s emigration, he said, Iqbal left the country in 2008. Selim and later Jahangir are named after him in hiding in exile. At one point, Iqbal was deported as an illegal immigrant and sent back to the country in late 2020.

Asked how Iqbal, who was sentenced to life imprisonment, left the country, RAB said that at the time Iqbal left the country, there was a handwritten passport. He changed his name at least twice. But how he left the country and how he returned is being investigated. Iqbal also tries to communicate with like-minded people. However, the director general did not give a clear explanation as to who is sympathetic.

Read more: Ripon, a candidate for the boat, is campaigning in advance